What is EDGE-X?

Evangelize the Lost, Disciple the Found, Give back to the Community, Edify the Church, all to eXalt the Savior.

Thursday, June 30, 2011

Day 14

Day 14: Bethsaida Dig (Day 2)

Hey everyone!

I am actually writing this blog while this very nice lady is lecturing on zoarcheology (which is the scientific look at ancient bones of humans and animals). With Sam sitting right next to me making small weapons out of leaves, the Doctor is giving us the history of zoarcheaology and how that relates to Bethsaida. I am really enjoying it (and am very thankful I can multitask) because of my work site today.

We woke up at 5:00AM today to head out to the dig site, where I cleared out our dig site of weeds for an hour and moved large boulders for the next two before the backhoe came in and dug us down to our paydirt. Once he got down to our paydirt, it was all trawl and bucket from there. We still had another six to eight inches to go before we had to mark off our site into sections and sift off each layer to find some interesting stuff.

I was working in the cemetery today outside the city wall. So far, they found one tomb with a couple in it, one of them with their arm wrapped around another (to be slightly vulgar, they skeletons were spooning). This was VERY odd, because even today, tombs are for one person only. We have NO IDEA why these two were buried together in the position they were buried in.

Because this was so odd, they wanted to uncover more. So they decided to expand the site and explore the cemetery. Today, we started to dig in that cemetery. It was really cool when we stumbled upon our first tomb. We only got to the top, and we not allowed to open it (even though we couldn’t because of the dirt) because the bones are so brittle. We needed our zoanthropologist to come in and look at them all as soon as we opened the tomb. We should open the tomb in the next few days (I will keep you posted on it).


I am excited about this dig! I know I have said it before, but I am really excited! I want to come back each year and help with this site. I have found a new hobby (because I know I can’t do this as a career; I would get bored). I know how hard work archeology can be, but that doesn’t matter to me. I am still fascinated by it. Being able to hold pieces of materials that are hundreds upon hundreds of years old—sometimes thousands of years old!—just fills me with wonder and awe. People just don’t make stuff like they used to.

I really need to pray about this and whether or not God wants me coming back each year. To me, this keeps my academic yearnings on high so I don’t lose it. At the same time, it costs money. I need to know if God wants me to use that money for something else (even though it is considerably cheap to go).

I look forward to the weeks ahead and I plan to keep you all posted! Love ya!

Following His Call,
Adam
Colossians 3:23

No comments:

Post a Comment

What do you think?